Sunday, December 12, 2010

What's Beautiful?

What is beautiful?  What does that word even mean?  How are we supposed to teach our kids what beauty is when it's all a matter of what's appealing to us as individuals? Hm.

Growing up I always felt a bit like an ugly duckling.. I don't know why.  The adults in my life always told me that I was cute and--looking back at photos--I actually was a pretty doggone lovely kid.  It's just one of "those things".  BUT when your kid asks you "What does beautiful mean?" what do you say?  .. I'm lost on that one.  Because I don't know what to tell him.  I don't have any examples to give him.  I always tell my children that they're beautiful.  So, in my cluelessness, I just told him the only thing I could think of: Beautiful things are things your eyes like to look at.  Things that make you happy inside when you see them.
Before the pitchforks, etc, come out let me say that I have discussed inner beauty with him and he grasps that concept.  Because it's pretty cut and dry.  People with love, kindness, empathy, etc.. in their hearts possess inner beauty.  People who are crabby and lie and kick puppies and stuff aren't beautiful on the inside..

--Ahem. Back to the point--


So, I found myself lost trying to explain to my child what beauty really is.. And then he showed me..
According to my five year old, this is what makes someone beautiful:

  • When someone smiles and you can see how pretty they are inside.  Like, not down their throat.  But in their heart.
  • When someone cares about how other people feel. (But, Logan, doesn't that mean that they're beautiful on the inside and not the outside?  "Mama, when someone is beautiful on the inside, it makes me happy to look at their outside.  That's what beautiful is, right?")
  • Nice teeth.
  • Brushed hair.
Hm.. Not one mention of cellulite, hair color, skin color, nose size, pants size, how they look in a swimsuit or cocktail dress, double chins, chicken legs, or acne.  My kid just taught me something.  A HUGE something.  Whodathunk?

So, my attempt at being All Knowing Super Mom actually resulted in me learning what outer beauty is.  Hopefully my son will carry these ideas of beauty with him his whole life and while he's looking for a spouse or for friends he will be sure to choose beautiful (by his standards) people.

No comments:

Post a Comment