Monday, December 13, 2010

Son of Light

That's what Lucifer means, right?

Well, my sister, brother-in-law, their wee one, and my kids and I all went to a local pizza parlor.  My brother-in-law had Logan absolutely convinced that his real name was Lucifer and that "Logan" was just short.  Like Jess for Jessica or Harry for Harold.  Anyway, it was quite hilarious.  When we were leaving we came clean and told Logan that his name was actually Logan.. not Lucifer.

He's a name nerd and wanted to know "what Lucifer means".  --Awkward pause--
Umm..I'm not sure what to tell you, son.
Why? Does it mean "eats boogers" or something?
No...
Well tell me mama.


So I did.  I told him the story of the name Lucifer.  How it was Satan's name when he was still an angel and that it means "Son of Light".  But that he was cast out of Heaven because he was evil and then his name became Satan.

Then Logan was quiet for almost a whole five minutes (a record, maybe?)


Mama?
What Logan?
Um.  Why is Lucifer a bad name?  Why didn't you want to tell me what it meant?
Because.  I just felt a little weird telling you about the devil and I wasn't sure how much of it you would understand.
Well, I understand it all.  And I wouldn't have been mad if you had named me Lucifer.  Because it means "Son of Light".  I like it.  And it matches me.


Indeed it does.  He teaches me something new every day.  And he could very well have been named Lucifer.  And it would have fit.  "Son of Light" describes his vivacious spirit, thirst for knowledge, and all around attitude pretty well.  Plus Lucifer is said to have been an absolutely gorgeous angel.  He's right.  Lucifer fits him.  BUT, I don't like how it also means "fallen angel".  Logan is an angel indeed, but as long as I'm breathing he will not fall.  At least not without me there to catch him.


Yes, Lucifer certainly fits him better than Logan (which means "hollow"--he's anything but) but I like to think we're redefining the name he was given.

No comments:

Post a Comment