Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Parenting Report Card

Some of you may know that I follow Attachment Parenting guidelines (pretty much.. it suits us in 99.999% of our lifestyle).  One of my greatest weaknesses is trying not to judge the way other people parent their children.  It's not that I think my way is better.. I guess I just think "Attachment parenting works so well, why would anyone want to do anything else?".
So, I've been trying to be observant in outings and things and I've made notes of a few things I've seen and compiled a "parenting report card" which is basically a list of things that I liked and disliked when I saw.
Judgmental?  Eh, maybe.  BUT, I once read something similar and it made a lightbulb go off for me.. I realized that others DO notice how we parent in public.

Okay.. On with it.


A-  A child was having an emotional breakdown in the produce section of Wal-Mart.  Instead of yelling at the child, hitting the child, or ignoring the behavior completely, the mom stopped what she was doing and crouched down to the child's level.  I'm not sure what she said word for word so I'll paraphrase based on what I heard her say:
Johnny, I understand that you're upset that we didn't _____ but instead of acting this way, you could use your words to let me know how you feel.  Sometimes we have to do things we don't like but instead of yelling and crying we have to use our words.


B-  A man (I'm assuming he was Dad) stomped the breaks in the carpool line when he realized his child left her lunch box in their van.  Although he clogged up the carpool line, he made sure that his child had their lunch and a hug before she went to class.  It warmed my heart.

C-  I was volunteering at the school and a woman picked her child up early.  The child was excited and trying to tell her mother about her day.  The mom was on her phone and kept saying "Shhhh.. We'll talk later".  And then the kid just gave up and the excitement went away. :(  At least the mom acknowledged her and told her they'd talk later?

D- I saw a grandma at a stoplight smoking in the car with the windows up with two (twins?)  infants in the car.  Yes, I know that calls for a huge, big fat F--- but the following F is worse.  Maybe?  Maybe they're tied for Fs.  Yes, tied for F's but we're going to call it a D for OCD's sake.


F-  A man, woman, and little boy (he looked to be close in age to Logan, so I'm guessing he was about 5) were in Cici's pizza.  The little boy was so full of life and so excited and he chattered on and on waiting for someone to acknowledge him or validate him.. The woman just kept stuffing her face.  She didn't look at him or talk to him.  Neither did the man.  Until he got fed up with the chatter and told his little boy to "Shut the f*** up!".  The light in the little boy's eyes died and he was broken.  It killed my heart.  The little boy sat eating silently, shadowing his parents until he decided to try again.  "Can I play games in the arcade after I eat?"  --No answer--  "Mom?  Dad?  Can I play games after I eat?"  --No answer--  "Mom? Da..."  Then the "dad" pounds his fist on the table and hisses "I thought I told you to SHUT. UP.  We can't even eat in peace!  No you can't play games and you should have known better than to ask!  You can't keep your mouth shut for five minutes!!"  I wanted  to say something.. But I couldn't.  I was too chicken.  So I just got my slice of dessert pizza, smiled at the broken boy, and went back to my peaceful, happy booth.    I was ashamed that I didn't have the guts to stand up.  But I so wish I had.  I don't even think those parents realized what they were doing to their child!


So,  share this in hopes that people DO notice how others parent in public.  And people DO know that public parenting is a tame version of what goes on at home usually.  And I hope this gets around to my "F" parents.  Because I want them to know they're wrong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment